As I look around the Christian community I see many families in the church that have adopted over the last 10 years. We have been told that God has a heart for adoption.
Well the truth is God does have a heart for orphans and He wants us, His church, to as well.
He commands us to care for the orphans and widows. James 1:27
He also says He is the Father to the fatherless. Psalm 68:5
What happens when you adopt that cute little orphan and the trials come? Do our churches work to support and encourage families who have adopted special children who have been abandoned? I know far too many families that have adopted hard to place children and their family, friends and church have abandoned them.
As a church we need to come alongside these families and help, but first we need to understand what they may be dealing with.
If you know someone in your church that has adopted, please watch this video by Todd Friel. I believe you will see a whole new side of adoption in only 7 minutes.
Here are 20 common symptoms of children with Reactive Attachment Disorder or RAD (common in abandoned children).
- Superficially engaging and charming
- Lack of eye contact on parents' terms
- Indiscriminately affectionate with strangers
- Not affectionate on parents' terms
- Destructive to self, others and material things
- Cruelty to animals
- Lying about the obvious
- No impulse control
- Lack of conscience
- Abnormal eating patterns
- Poor peer relationships
- Preoccupation with fire
- Preoccupation with blood and gore
- Preoccupation with bodily functions
- Persistent nonsense questions and chatter
- Non-stop demanding of attention
- Triangulation of adults
- False allegations of abuse
- Creating chaos